Sunday, July 15, 2012

This is my first personal blog. Two days ago, I launched this site and now I need to get the bugs out and work on the flow, content and design. My Blogs will be maybe weekly, I'm thinking, and will be personal, sharing my talent and knowledge and some little known facts too. Mostly, it will be about what I want to accomplish as an oil painter, my goals, and some obstacles I'm trying to overcome in the process. Maybe others can learn from my mistakes along with my successes.  I've been asked by several other artists and students to do this, and after thinking about it said OK.

My sharing, hopefully will be personal, insightful, honest, and from my heart. This blog will be more conversational than the other promotional medias, I use. I will try not to brag, or be too self indulgent, but rather just be honest and share what's in my head. I don't really know where this is all going, but I'm excited about the possibilities and ready to get started.

I think I'm a born teacher and really have tried to teach others all my life in my business, and now conducting artist's workshops, teaching mainly oil painting, but also watercolor, pastel and acrylic. So I guess, I feel this is just an extension of being a teacher to share and be generous with my knowledge and ability. For those who know me, this might be a chance to know me better, and for those who don't, maybe a chance to get to know a little about me, to see if my life direction, and love of art can in any way educate or inspire you.

Why do this? Because I have learned so much teaching others. I know one thing for sure: I want my art to inspire others as it inspires me. (only the dream of every artist, I suppose.) So many Patrons already do own my art. I love visiting a home or business where one of my paintings hang. One such place that I'm still thrilled to go to is the Juniper Inn, Bed & Breakfast, just north of Fish Creek. I'm always amazed that I still love the painting I did back in 2008, that the owners bought at the Door County Plein Air Festival and hang in a prominent spot in the"great room" there. I've also been lucky enough to have made permanent friends with many of the people that have purchased my work.

My next blogs won't be this long, Tom


No comments:

Post a Comment